Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My February Resolutions


First published in the Grand Traverse Insider, Sunday, January 29. 2012
+++
by Tom Van Deinse, CEO
Grand Traverse Bay YMCA

My February Resolutions

The good news?  I did not break my 2012 resolution to never procrastinate.  The bad news is that I put off my 2012 resolutions until today!  So, better late than never, here are my February resolutions:

I resolve to take off this winter weight before spring. 

I know I’m not alone, but I know I’ll do it, too.  After all the holiday meals, I’ve finally resumed a better diet, and I’m hitting more tennis balls and enjoying the sauna at the Y.  Others are giving the Y treadmills a workout or enjoying the greatly expanded menu of exercise classes.

As the CEO of the Y, I resolve to help the rest of the community get healthier, too. 

That’s why we’re hosting a smoking cessation class, offering a program called YMCA Youth Working on Wellness (Y Youth WOW), and providing more opportunities to join the Y with our financial assistance program and free joiner fee period through Valentine’s Day. 

I resolve to share the Y story. 

In a recent membership campaign, we registered over 600 new YMCA members.  How did we do it?  We let the Y programs sell themselves.  Some just wanted to lose weight, like me, and some wanted to tone up.  Others wanted to enjoy year-round pickleball, tennis, or basketball.  Still others were looking to take advantage of the member discounts on popular programs like gymnastics, child care, YMCA Pop Warner football, or lacrosse.  At the YMCA you and your family can get fit and have fun for less!  It’s a great story that everyone should hear.

I resolve to get the New Y open in 2013. 
Of course, the credit for the hard work of raising the funds goes to the volunteers and community members.  Rob and Phyllis Foster, Dave and Beth Howard, and Jerry and Don Oleson teamed up with nearly 900 donors to get us to the point where construction of the New Y can begin this spring.  Volunteers like Henry Peet and Paul Schmuckal and scores of others will make my New Y resolution an easy one to fulfill.

I further resolve to offer anyone who missed the chance to support the New Y before the end of 2011 the chance to support it now. You’ll be recognized as part of this great community success story, no matter what size your gift.  The New Y will be built on gifts ranging from $5 to $2 million, validating that the YMCA’s focus on youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility really is, as our mission states, “for all”. 

Tom Van Deinse
CEO, GT Bay YMCA
My final 2012 resolution is to complete my 2013 resolutions before December 31 this year… if I get around to it!

For more information about YMCA programs or the New Y contact CEO Tom Van Deinse at tvd@gtbayymca.org, call 933-YMCA, or visit www.gtbayymca.org.