Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Olympic Request : Janet Evans

Olympic Request



Olympic gold-medalist Janet Evans will lend her support to the Grand Traverse Bay YMCA's fundraising campaign to build a new facility on Silver Lake Road. Evans will speak in Traverse City May 12 at the State Theatre. Photo Special to the Insider
Gold medalist to assist Y in fundraising goal

TRAVERSE CITY – As a graduate of a YMCA swimming program herself, four-time Olympic gold medalist Janet Evans didn't hesitate when approached about lending her support to the Grand Traverse Bay YMCA's fundraising campaign to build a new facility on Silver Lake Road.

As part of the new complex, a competition pool is planned pending a successful fundraising effort.

Evans, who held three world records that have since been broken, enrolled in swimming classes in her home town and began competitive swimming at an early age.

She's appearing in Traverse City on May 12 at the State Theatre from 7-8:15 p.m. through the auspices of "The New Y Capital Campaign." Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for high school students and those 13 and younger will be admitted free if accompanied by a parent or adult.

Tickets can be purchased through TREATickets.com, or at their kiosks in Horizon Books and at the Convention and Visitors Bureau.

At the end of the evening, there'll be a message about the fundraising campaign to build the new Y, and Evans will speak to the Breakers Swim Team.

The campaign committee and the Y's board of directors have set a goal of raising $4 million this year.

Evans feels it will be worth the cost.

"I learned how to swim at a Y, and it obviously changed my life," said Evans, who lives in Los Angeles and has two small children of her own.

"It took me on the course that I found myself on. My mom doesn’t know how to swim, and my dad just kind of floats.

"They took my brothers and me to the Y when I was 18 months old, so I feel very strong about the Y swimming programs. I feel strongly, also, about drowning prevention.

"I have two children of my own now, a 1-year-old and a 4-year-old, and I realize how important it is to teach children how to swim."

Evans pointed out that drownings are the leading cause of death for children under the age of 5.

"You guys have a lot of lakes, and a lot of water around you, and I think every child needs the opportunity to learn how to swim," she remarked. "The Y is the perfect place for them. So, I think you guys need a pool, and that's why I'm coming."

Once she turned to competitive swimming, Evans quickly excelled, breaking the world record in he 400, 800 and 1,500-meter freestyle events when she was 15 back in 1987.

Evans picked up her first gold medal at the Seoul Olympics in 1988, competing in the 400-meter individual medley. She brought home two other golds as well. In her final Olympic appearance in 1998, she carried the Olympic torch.

"I had two older brothers, so I was very competitive with them," Evans says of her desire to race. "I joined the team when I was 4.

"But, I didn't really get the fire to compete in the Olympics until I was 12. The Olympics came to Los Angeles, and I was able to watch some of the swimming. That really inspired me to do it.

"For me, it was a question of just working hard. It just kind of grew from there."

It took a lot of hard work, including swimming about 12 miles a day.

Parental support and great coaching helped.

"I was tough mentally," Evans said. "I kind of like to think my stars were aligned, and I had some good opportunities. It all kind of fell into place."

Her stature as a world-class swimmer gives her instant credibility with her audience.

"It helps people to listen," event organizer Lynn Schultz said. "There's a great need for another pool here open to the public. The one at the Civic Center is more than 30 years old. It just isn't enough for this community, and I don't know how long it can continue to function."

Schultz added that the group is serious about what they're doing, and they care.

Kicking it off with a fun event for the community will hopefully spark increased interest.

Contact Greg Gielczyk at ggielczyk@jackpine.net.